Pages

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Couple is refused the right to get married

.

I am going to make an assumption here when I say that we have come a long way since the civil movement. People of all different cultures, race, and creed are allowed to attend the same schools, universities, and same public facilities. Not only that, but interracial marriages are already increasingly common. With the fact that mixed marriages are a very big part of our diverse society, I think it is becoming accepted into main stream society.

Sadly, not everyone accepts interracial marriages, and one such person is a justice from one of the South Eastern states. Justice Birdwell refused to marry a couple (woman white, and man black) not because he was racist as he claimed, but because he was concerned about the children they were going to have, and the challenges they would face being biracial children.

Although I understand Birdwell's explanation that if he marries one interracial couple, then he has to marry all interracial couples that come to him, I believe it is not his place to pick and chose who he can marry. As a justice, his job is to marry two people that love each other. Whatever problems their children may have down the road is for the couple to worry about, not Justice Birdwell.

Is it just me, or do any of you think that Justice Birdwell has no right to refuse any interracial couple the right to marriage?

Dave's Site

5 comments

Daisy said...

It is very sad that the color of one's skin still has a bearing on anything. I hope in time this will change.

ps: I am very proud and happy to see my button here! Thanks ever so much.

Kavita (luvikavi) said...

Thanks Daisy and owner

My boyfriend and I had a huge debate about this over the phone, and my boyfriend said that as a Justice, you have a right to refuse to marry someone, and it would have been another story if the couple paid, and they got refused, he also brought up the point that if he referred them to someone else, he wasn't doing anything wrong, and that news media always has a tendency not to display all sides

Whatever the case may be, I still think it is morally wrong

and your welcome for the button on here, you're one of the cutest cats, and you remind me a lot of my cat my family used to have (she ran away though)

Patricia Rockwell said...

I don't know if it is legal for an individual justice of the peace to refuse to marry a couple--but it is certainly offensive and foolish. I'm guessing that many couples (biracial and monoracial) will think twice before using this Justice for their ceremony. I know I would.

Kavita (luvikavi) said...

I completely agree Patricia, even if he does have a legal right, it was morally wrong and offensive to that couple.

I made the same argument with my boyfriend, saying personally if that was me, I would be offended, and then, make sure anyone that is interested in getting married, does not go to him.

Btw, I am putting your button on my blog :), I think you have one, I am not sure, I have to recheck.

Natural Acne Remedies said...

Hi, I am
Cory Thiarello writing about different skin disorders and skin treatments. I wish to share a few Smart Choices for Acne Cure...Please do have a look!

 

Followers

About Me

My Photo
Kavita (luvikavi)
I am a 25 year old loud mouth by my words yet soft spoken at heart. I have love affairs with new thoughts, ideas, controversies, movies, news,helping those in need and politics. If something tickles my fancy, I will blog profusely about it. The world is filled with nonsense, and writing helps me grasp the reality, whatever that may be.
I graduated from Northern with a Bachelors in Health and Human Sciences, with an emphasis in family and individual development. I hope to GOD my thousand and thousand dollars in loans has prepared me enough for Grad school which I will be venturing off into this Fall of '10. YIKES!
View my complete profile